Tuesday, February 11, 2014

A personal project

It has long been a desire of mine to learn how to paint a portrait using oil paints. 
Always busy, I never thought that I really had the time. Fortunately during a conversation with an artist friend early last year (2013) that all changed.
I finally came to the conclusion that "if I didn't try now I would never do it" so I asked him if he would teach me. 
He agreed. Since then, one day each week we meet and we paint.
I started with small projects. 
On days when the mood to paint wasn't quite with me, we would draw instead but we have always worked on a project. 
One morning I arrived to be greeted with a large canvas and was told I would start on something new. I had recently taken some pictures of my daughter and we had discussed how nice one of them might look painted. 
You can see them here
He told me why should it not be me to take on the task and told me to get to work. That was seven months ago. 



It is not finished and I know it won't be anytime soon. 
It is a work in progress. 
But as I have learned time after time, all artwork takes time, inspiration, and a great deal of patience. 

2 comments:

  1. This made me cry!! This is amazing!! Oh Rebecca!!! You are an artist! You ARE! Oh my.... I'm going to forward this to my daughter... I literally gasped out loud about midway when one of the images emerged and it was your girl! SO "her"! Rebecca you are amazing. XOXO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ruth. For so long it was a dream that I had never acted on (probably because I was afraid of not being good enough) and I am so glad that I did. The experience and learning process has turned out to be quite an education. My friend/teacher is such an inspirational person and an amazing artist, you should see his work! Please say hello to Olivia for me.

      Delete

You are Beautiful - Embrace it.